Tuesday, July 14, 2009

127 Bales of Mold

A hay nightmare - fill up 3 trucks and a horse trailer with 127 large (60lb) bales only to find that most of the stuff is BAD!!!!!! It is so moldy that when you pop open the bale, it is like opening up a bottle of greenish brown baby powder! I called the hay guy. He said he was sorry and we could return the hay and pick up some other stuff! WHAT??? Load up the 127 bales, unload it at his place, load it up AGAIN, come home, unload AGAIN. Hell no.

We were sick. Fortunately, the hay guy called back, said he felt bad, and would deliver replacement bales. Whew!! The replacement bales were nice. So we decide to get 240 more - delivered.

We did pop open a couple of bales when we got there and they smelled sweet - don't know what went wrong :-(

4 comments:

  1. That happened to me this year as well. The guy who sold it to us was great and threw in about 50 free bales. He found out his barn roof was leaking and lost quite a bit of hay. Glad you got the problem fixed. Nothing worse than nasty hay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say that hay is one of the most difficult, frustrating parts of woning horses. I would rather shovel 10 tons of horse manure than get hay.

    I should update this blog - I have another frustrating story about my last load of hay - and the vet bill that came because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops - thats 'owning' horses - not woning! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I feel the same! I hate dealing with hay! I hate getting it out of the field in 90 degree weather and I hate searching for hay that is up to my standards when we need more, handing over a big check that could be used on so many horse wishlist items, and then knowing that I will touch each bale atleast twice before we are done. I would rather go on a 5 hour trail ride with sawdust packed down my jeans. lol

    ReplyDelete